Solar Off-Grid Solutions
What is Solar Offgrid?
The solar off grid system provides electricity from the solar panels independent of the grid network(public electricity)
How it works?
The system constitutes:
1) Solar Panels – PV panels that are roof mounted or placed on the terrace area to capture sunlight.
2) Solar inverter – converts Direct current generated from solar panels into AC(Alternating Current)
3) Switchboard – Alternating Current(AC) generated from solar inverter goes through switchboard to power home or to send surplus current back to the battery.
4) Battery – stores the current generated from the solar panels or any surplus from electricity indoors.
5) Battery Inverter – It’s 2 way – takes surplus electricity from the main switchboard and converts it into DC electricity to be stored in batteries or convert stored DC electricity from the batteries into AC electricity to power the house.
Two ways of using the Off-grid system
- AC coupled system – AC coupled system is where a battery is added to the Ongrid or Grid tied solar PV system to store power.
- The DC coupled system – This system allows the current(DC) generated by the solar panels to be fed to DC operated appliances.
Before the design is started the energy load profile is sketched out by taking a look at the electric load of the major applianced used. Energy efficiency can be brought about by choosing the right appliances and efficient home design.
Providing Reliable & Cost Effective, Backup Power through solar using underutilized rooftops.
- It syncs and shares energy with Solar, Battery and Grid
- Highest performing inverters
- Solutions available from 1KW – 200 KW
- Best in class solar modules
- Single phase and Three phase Solutions
- Long lasting battery technology
- Customized MS Galvanized / Aluminum mounting Structure
- Customized solutions to suit individual power backup requirements considering connected load and required backup time
- Individual Houses
- Places of Worship
- IT / BT Companies
- Farm Houses
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ)
Solar Off-grid solutions are preferable for buildings in remote locations that do not have access to grid power. This also suits people who want to go offgrid and don’t want to depend on grid power.
Batteries enable power to be stored from Solar Panels.This ensures that even if Solar Panels are not generating electricity power can be got from the stored power of batteries. For additional power supply one can supplement the Solar PV systems with diesel generators to provide extra power.
No the Net Metering benefits cannot be availed in case of Off-grid systems. Since Offgrid systems are completely disconnected from the grid power this benefit cant be availed.
This has to do with the sizing of the batteries. First, get to know the energy requirements of the building. The Solar Panels are then sized according to the energy requirements of the building. Other factors are considered like the efficiency of the Solar Panels, Solar panel orientation and others.The battery needs to accommodate the current supplied from the Solar panels. To know more about the sizing check the blog.
The key to long life cycle of the batteries is to ensure the batteries are properly charged and the discharging is limited. We recommend Deep cycle batteries as they manage deeper discharges in a better manner.
As we know Inverters convert DC current generated from the Solar Panels to AC(Alternating Current). The DC current is stored in Batteries and inverters are needed in case of converting DC to usable AC power.
A Charge controller is needed in case of an Off-grid system since a battery is included in the system.The Charge controller ensures that the amount of current and current voltage supplied from the Solar PV systems to the battery is regulated.This ensures the safety of the battery.
The size of the Solar system depends on a number of factors like:
- The Energy requirements of the building( Consider bringing in Energy Efficiency)
- Solar Panel Orientation
- Type of Solar Panels (Consider factors like Solar Panel efficiency, Rooftop space…)
- Quality of the products installed(Solar Panels, Solar Inverter, Battery)
Check out the sizing of the Solar PV system for more details.